Request for Reconsideration Process
Patrons who wish to challenge materials in the library’s collection can do so through the library’s Request for Reconsideration procedure, outlined herein. All materials challenges must follow this procedure in order to be considered.
Before the challenge process begins, there are two criteria that must be met.
- The item being challenged must be a part of the Pendleton Community Public Library's current collection.
- The individual challenging the material must reside, or own property, within the library's taxing district.
If those two criteria are met, the challenge process can begin by following these steps.
- Obtain a Request for Reconsideration form. This form is linked on the library’s website. The form can also be requested from staff at the Circulation Desk.
- Complete the form, including contact information, and return it to the Library Director. Completed forms can be:
- Turned in at the library.
- Mailed to the library at 595 E. Water St. Pendleton, IN 46064.
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Library Director will note the date the request was received by the library.
- The request will be evaluated by a Review Committee consisting of the Library Director, Public Services Librarian, and the Librarian serving the intended age group of the challenged material. Additional staff members may also join the Review Committee.
- The Review Committee will evaluate the relevance of the item for the intended age group while also measuring it against the library’s Collection Development Policy.
- A decision will be made by the Review Committee and communicated, in writing, to the patron within thirty (30) days of receiving the completed request form.
- If, after notification of the Review Committee’s decision, a patron wishes to appeal the decision, they will present their challenge to the Library Board at a regularly-scheduled Library Board meeting, held in the library on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. The presentation will occur as part of the Public Comments portion of the meeting and is subject to the Public Comment Policy for Library Board Meetings.
- After hearing the comments, the Library Board will take the challenge under consideration and will render a decision at its next public meeting. The decision made by the Library Board is final.
Adopted as part of the Collection Development Policy by the Pendleton Community Public Library Board of Trustees
August 9, 2023