Public Comment Policy for Library Board Meetings
The Pendleton Community Public Library Board of Trustees is committed to the Indiana Open Door Law, and therefore all public meetings are open to public attendance and observation. As library taxpayers, some local residents may want to address the Board with comments or concerns. These comments are welcomed within this policy.
- Local residents who wish to make public comments at a Library Board Meeting must check in with the Board President or Presiding Officer prior to the start of the meeting. Individuals must provide their name and address in order to be called upon to speak. Names will be recorded in the official meeting minutes.
- Public Comments may be made by individuals attending the meeting virtually. Virtual attendees must follow the same required procedure as those attending in person.
- Individuals requesting public comment must be local taxpayers or must hold a significant financial or professional interest within the Pendleton Community Public Library’s taxing district.
- “Public Comments” will appear on each month’s agenda, at the beginning of the meeting.
- Each individual is given 3 uninterrupted minutes to make their comments during a Board meeting. Repeated comments by the same individual, within the same meeting, are not allowed.
- The Library Board will receive comments and take them under consideration. The Board is not required to directly respond to comments, nor are they required to respond to the individual making the comments.
- Comments may only address matters that the Pendleton Community Public Library Board has the authority to address.
- Matters of personnel will not be discussed in public meetings.
- Comments should be respectful and presented in a civil manner. Individuals shall not use profanity nor language that is intentionally inflammatory.
- Individuals who do not abide by this policy are subject to forfeiture of their public comment time and possible removal from library property.
Adopted by the Pendleton Community Public Library Board of Trustees
February 15, 2023