Donation of Materials
The Pendleton Community Public Library will accept donations of gently used books and AV materials. Donated materials must fit into the guidelines outlined in this policy. Materials not meeting the policy's criteria will not be accepted.
- gently used books for all ages
- magazines fewer than five years old
- audiovisual materials, in cases, and accompanied by original cover sleeves
- materials that are ripped, stained, or missing pages
- materials that are water damaged
- broken audiovisual materials
- multivolume sets missing parts
- items exposed to animal waste
- items exposed to mold or mildew
- homemade audiovisual materials
- encyclopedia sets more than ten years old
- magazines more than five years old
- Readers' Digest condensed books
The library receives a large volume of donated items which can be problematic for the following reasons:
- Oftentimes, patrons need assistance bringing boxes of donated items into the library. Depending on the staffing situation at the time, it may be prohibitive to take a staff member away from his/her job to deal with an unexpected donation. Some staff may not be physically able to assist.
- Library staff first must evaluate items that have been donated to determine if they are appropriate additions to the library's collection. When items come in on a daily basis, it can be difficult to keep up with this task.
- Evaluation of materials by library staff needs to occur prior to the Friends of the Library's role in processing materials for their quarterly book sale. Since the Friends of the Library do not come in on a daily basis, materials pile up, and staff can easily lose track of what items have already been evaluated.
- When a large volume of materials is donated just before the start of the book sale, those items cannot be processed in time. Therefore, they sit around until the next book sale is held.
In an effort to streamline donations and the procedures associated with them, the library will only accept donated items during the first full week of each month. Items may be dropped off any day that week, except holidays, between 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., or by appointment. Items may not be dropped in the library's book returns. Library staff will issue a receipt that summarizes the donation, but a dollar amount will not be assigned.
Adopted by the Pendleton Community Library Board of Trustees
July 10, 2013